Metformin, a prescription drug used to manage diabetes, has shown some benefits in lower risks of cancer and better survival, mostly among people with diabetes or high blood sugar.
Affordability and access
- Yes. Metformin is available with a prescription in oral form at pharmacies.
- We strongly recommend against ordering metformin from online pharmacies or any other source without a prescription from a licensed physician.
Other names and brands
Metformin is also known by these brand names:
- Glucophage XR
Where to access
- Local and online pharmacies
Find health professionals who use both conventional and complementary approaches, including off-label drugs, in an integrative approach to cancer focusing on your body terrain: Finding Integrative Oncologists and Other Practitioners ›
- Inexpensive to somewhat expensive (less than $2000 US/year), depending on the dose
- Prescriptions may be covered by insurance; check with your insurance provider.