During moxibustion, a trained therapist burns an herb to apply heat close to the skin at specific points, which can lead to improvements in several common side effects of cancer treatments.
Affordability and access
Moxibustion may be administered by a trained professional. In the US, moxibustion practitioners must have an acupuncture license, as moxibustion is considered a type of acupuncture.
You or a caregiver/loved one can be trained to administer moxibustion at home.
Where to access
- Independent small practices
- Moxa sticks are available from online retailers
- Low to moderate cost (under $2000 US/year)
- Costs depend on the number of sessions and whether you choose to have a professional administer treatments
- Sessions can cost between $50 to $100 or more each
- An initial session may be more expensive, as the provider will need to assess your medical condition