Extracts of turkey tail mushroom and its constituent PSK are used with conventional cancer treatment to improve survival and reduce risk of recurrence. The constituent PSP shows some benefit for pain, appetite, and percentage of body fat.
Affordability and access
- No, but we recommend you consult your oncology team before using this therapy
Other names and brands
You may find turkey tail mushroom under these alternate names and brands:
- Coriolus versicolor
- Kawaratake (Japan)
- Krestin™ drug formulation
- Polyporus versicolor
- Trametes versicolor
- Yun Zhi (traditional Chinese medicine)
The strength and purity of products can vary significantly, so read labels carefully. Consult a healthcare professional experienced in using medicinal mushrooms for guidance in product selection.
Where to access
- Retail drug stores and pharmacies
- Online retailers
- Moderate cost (between $500 US and $2000 US/year)